More than 250 BuzzFeed News reporters and editors are working around the globe to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Here’s a look at the type of impact our newsroom has had so far.
2. A BuzzFeed News story led to the dismissal of murder charges against nine different men. That story won last year’s Polk Award for local reporting.
3. BuzzFeed News revealed that Macedonia’s pro-Trump fake news industry had American links — and it’s now under investigation for possible Russia ties.
5. BuzzFeed News was first to report on government attempts to hide the death toll in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.
6. A BuzzFeed News report on sexual misconduct by the longest-serving member of the House led to an overhaul in the way Congress handles sexual assault allegations.
9. Within a day of a BuzzFeed News scoop about the popular gay dating app Grindr, the company changed its policies on sharing users’ HIV status with third parties.
10. BuzzFeed News revealed the hidden risks of the internet’s most popular free porn sites, which didn't use HTTPS, a secure web protocol, prompting two of those sites — Pornhub and YouPorn — to turn on HTTPS encryption by default for their visitors.
11. BuzzFeed News was the first major news outlet to publish statistics about diversity in its newsroom, sparking a public conversation about the need for more journalists of color and forcing other newsrooms to do the same.
12. BuzzFeed News’ national reporting has led to change in detainee consent laws.
15. Nine months before the spy Sergei Skripal was poisoned with a nerve agent in a small English city, BuzzFeed News exposed intelligence linking 14 suspicious deaths on UK soil to Russia.
16. As the #MeToo movement heated up, BuzzFeed News broke sexual misconduct allegations against big names in the entertainment industry, including the creator of Ren & Stimpy, actor Kevin Spacey and singer R. Kelly.
17. BuzzFeed News exposed Amazon’s fake review ecosystem, and how sellers recycle old reviews for completely different products. Amazon removed the fake reviews, as well as the recycled reviews, named in each story.
18. The BuzzFeed News newsletter slows down the chaos so you actually understand it and leaves you with inspiration to slay your day.
20. BuzzFeed News was the only organization to fact-check the viral story about a competitive barefoot runner who demanded his neighbors in Minnesota sweep up acorns, which turned out to be a hoax.