8 Weird And Shocking Ways People Ended Up In Hospital In 2015
The BMJ Case Reports journal records strange and unexpected illnesses and injuries. Here are some of the strangest from last year. Warning: Maybe don't read this while you're eating your lunch.
This 4-year-old boy who'd managed to get a 2-inch pin stuck through his kidney.
He swallowed the big bit with the red arrow.
This woman who blew her nose so hard she popped her eye out.
This herbalist who drank a hefty dose of poison to help her get to sleep at night.
He had broken his femur quite impressively and they had to put a foot-long metal pin in his leg.
Five months later, though, he was walking almost without pain and doing yoga again – although doing "less strenuous postures".
You have to be incredibly unlucky to break your leg like this in yoga, and it turned out that he had probably had a stress fracture already, which he'd thought was just a muscle strain.
A woman who (apparently) had so many head lice that she was running out of blood.
The bobby pin was removed using a surgical procedure called a laparotomy. An earlier version of this piece misnamed the procedure.