There's that moment every vegetarian in the Middle East fears: Dinner was going so well — until you came out as a non-meat eater.
Suddenly everyone begins to look at you like you've gone mad. Then come the various stages of denial: Oh, so you say you're a vegetarian? Well, let me put some meat on your plate as if you didn't say a thing.
Sure, everyone is fretting because they just want you to be happy. But let's be real here for a moment: There's still SO much vegetarian goodness to enjoy.
1. Because everywhere you go there's a stand like this bursting with fresh flavor.
2. Or fast food joints like this to get your fried-vegetarian fix.
3. And always yes to all the salads and side dishes. All the time.
4. The seasonal vegetables are guaranteed to delight.
6. Around every corner there is a ful (fava bean) cart or shop to get your sandwich on the go.
If your stomach can handle it.
11. And Egypt's legendary-ish combination of rice, pasta, lentils, garlic, and tomato: koshary.
Finish the bowl at your own risk.