12 Of The Saddest Science Facts Of All Time
It's lonely spacecraft and abandoned animals all the way down. I'm so sorry.
1. On its first birthday on Mars, the Curiosity rover was programmed to play "Happy Birthday" to itself.
2. Mars is populated entirely with robots, but they'll never meet each other.
3. There's a whale called 52 Blue that might be the only one of its kind. It travels alone, singing at a different frequency to other whales.
It is perhaps difficult to accept that if this was a whale, that there could have been only one of this kind in this large oceanic expanse, yet in spite of comprehensive, careful monitoring year-round, only one call with these characteristics has been found anywhere, and there has been only one source each season.
(Although this story may have a happier ending – some scientists now believe they've picked up similar signals, meaning the whale might not be alone after all.)
4. Pluto didn't get to make one whole orbit of the sun in the time between its discovery and demotion.
5. New Horizons spent nine years travelling to Pluto but only 22 hours collecting data from the dwarf planet.
"Omg hiiii!!!" "Oh ok bye then. :("