What We Know So Far
- One person is dead and two more were injured Friday in a terror attack at an Air Products gas factory in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier, France. The deceased victim was decapitated.
- Suspect Yassin Sahli was taken into custody following the attack. According to French President Francois Hollande, there was possibly more than one attacker.
- Sahli was monitored by security services between 2006 and 2008, according to French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.
- There was a note found near the deceased victim, though details of the writing have not yet been released.
- France is still reeling from the terror attacks on the offices of the Charlie Hebdo newspaper and other parts of Île-de-France in January that killed 20 people, including three gunmen.
Location of the Air Products factory, in relation to the city of Lyon:
Four people are in custody as part of the investigation into the attack at the gas factory, Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins said.
The attacker, along with his wife, sister and another person are all being questioned about the killing and explosion. Molins also said that the attacker regularly made deliveries to the factory and was known to the factory's workers.
Meanwhile, the prosecutor confirmed that the decapitated head of the victim was found hanging from a gate on the factory's grounds. The head was flanked by two flags with the shahada written on them. The victim's body was found inside the truck and a knife was discovered nearby.
The White House released the following statement Friday afternoon regarding the attacks in France, Tunisia and Kuwait:
French officials have confirmed that the victim in the France attack was the suspect's employer, according to the AP.
The officials, who spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity, said that it is believed that the victim was killed before the suspect drove through the gates of the factory and crashed into the gas canisters. That crash triggered an explosion that injured two.
The identity of the victim has not yet been released.
Air Products have said that all employees at its site in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier have been accounted for, AP reported.
In a statement, the U.S.-based gas manufacturer said that all its employees had been evacuated from the site, which is now secure, and added, "[O]ur crisis and emergency response teams have been activated and are working closely with all relevant authorities."
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls has addressed the terror attacks in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier and Tunisia on Twitter.
The blind threat and horror of terrorists spares no nation. My thoughts to the victim in Isère and the victims in Tunisia.