Clashes In East Jerusalem After Palestinian Man Found Hanged

Israeli police have said there were no signs of foul play after the 32-year-old bus driver was found hanged in a Jerusalem depot. However, rumors have spread among Palestinians that he was attacked by a group of Jewish extremists.

Clashes have broken out in East Jerusalem overnight after a 32-year-old Palestinian bus driver was found hanged in a depot late on Sunday, Haaretz reported.

Israeli police have said they do not suspect any foul play or violence in the case. However, AFP and Palestinian media outlets including Ma'an and Al-Quds have reports of witnesses claiming that he was attacked by a group of Israelis.

The bus driver has been identified in Palestinian media as Yousuf Hassan Al-Ramouni from El Tur in East Jerusalem. He worked for Israel's Egged bus company, and was found dead inside his vehicle at Har Hotzvim terminal, Jerusalem.

Ramouni's body was discovered by colleagues at 10p.m. local time Sunday after they noticed his bus was still parked in the terminal after he was due to start his 9.20p.m. shift on the 57 bus route, Haaretz reported.

His body was found hanging from the center of the bus from a thin cord. According to Haaretz, relatives of the Ramouni took photographs of his body, and claim they show signs of violence.

A statement issued by police spokeswoman Luba Samri said there were "no signs of violence on the body." "According to an initial investigation, it appears there is no suspicion of criminal activity, in other words a suicide," she said.

However, Ramouni's colleague Muatasem Fakeh told AFP: "We saw signs of violence on his body... He was hanged over the steps at the back of the bus in a place where it would be impossible to hang yourself alone."

Al-Ramouni's brother Osama told AFP: "My brother had children and was a happy man. It is impossible that he killed himself... We reject the suicide theory. We all know it was settlers [a euphemism for Jewish extemists] who killed him."

Haaretz reported that al-Ramouni's body had been taken from Hadassah Hospital to Abu Kabir Forensic Insitutute in Tel Aviv for an autopsy.

Osama al-Ramouni told AFP he believed that the post-mortem would "reveal everything."

Skip to footer