With college now in session, the topic of trigger warnings in the classroom is back in the news.
First, let's talk about what trigger warnings actually are.
BuzzFeed Health spoke with the following psychologists about what they wish people knew about trigger warnings from a mental health perspective:
* Ryan Howes, PhD, California-based clinical psychologist
* Ruth Goldston, PhD, New Jersey-based psychologist
* Nance Roy, EdD, clinical director at the Jed Foundation and assistant clinical professor at the Yale School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry
* Andrea Bonior, PhD, clinical psychologist and adjunct professor at Georgetown University
* Eileen Zurbriggen, PhD, psychologist and professor at the University of California, Santa Cruz
* Elana Newman, PhD, research director for the Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma and professor at the University of Tulsa
Here's what they had to say: