Following the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, people looking to get informed about the history of systemic racism and white supremacy in the US are turning to reading lists.
For those looking to take a deep dive into these themes in social, political, and cultural landscapes, BuzzFeed News put together a list of books — with help, via email from the following experts:
- Carol Anderson, professor of African American studies at Emory University
- Nathan Connolly, professor of history at St. John's University and cohost of the podcast BackStory
- Shannon Sullivan, chair and professor of philosophy at UNC Charlotte
- Terrance MacMullan, professor of philosophy at Eastern Washington University
- Ian Haney López, professor of law at University of California, Berkeley
- Irene Nexica, writer and cultural critic
14. The Making and Unmaking of Whiteness, edited by Birgit Brander Rasmussen, Irene Nexica, and Eric Klinenberg
A previous version of this post incorrectly labeled a photo of Kevin Decker as Terrance MacMullan.