BuzzFeed News

Reporting To You


Girlfriend Of Ohio Man Killed By Police In Walmart Dies In Car Crash

On New Years Day, Tasha Thomas, the girlfriend of John Crawford III, the man shot and killed by police inside a Walmart in Beavercreek, Ohio, died in a car crash. This summer, detectives suggested she was lying and threatened to put her in jail while questioning her about her Crawford's death.

Posted on January 2, 2015, at 5:32 p.m. ET

View this video on YouTube

Thomas being questioned by Beavercreek police.

Tasha Thomas, the former girlfriend of John Crawford III, who was shot and killed by police in an Ohio Walmart this summer, has died in car crash, a local ABC affiliate reported.

Thomas, who was 26, died on Jan. 1 when a car she was a passenger in crashed and overturned.

"Car ran into a pole and overturned. Bad accident," a caller told the 911 dispatcher.

The car was allegedly traveling between 90 and 110 miles per hour when it hit the pole.

"It just sounded like a big bang and just a ton of metal just tumbling down the street," a witness told ABC.

Thomas' mother said that she was getting a ride to her car from her friend Frederick Bailey, who died in a hospital shortly after the accident.

Tiffany Cochran, who works with the law firm that represents the Crawford family, told BuzzFeed News that the accident was a "tremendous tragedy," but said that the Crawford family would not be issuing a formal statement at this time.

Thomas was shopping at a Walmart with Crawford in August when the 22-year-old was shot and killed by a police officer. The police were responding to a 911 call reporting that Crawford was wandering around the store with a gun, which police would later discover to be a toy.

Last month, The Guardian released video of Thomas being aggressively questioned by police. It showed that she was only informed of Crawford's death after an intense 90-minute interrogation in which she was was accused of lying multiple times and threatened.

Shortly after the video leaked, attorneys for Crawford's family filed a lawsuit against the police and Walmart. Lawyers say they found evidence that Crawford was shot ".36 seconds" after police arrived on the scene. On Sept. 24, an Ohio grand jury declined to indict the officers involved in the shooting.