Boko Haram militants attacked three more villages in Nigeria on Wednesday, killing at least 48 people. The attacks come a day after two explosions at a busy bus terminal in Nigeria's central city of Jos killed over 100 people.
The militant Islamist group of Boko Haram attacked the three villages between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, the Associated Press reported. Reports of the attacks were confirmed by a state intelligence agent.
One of the attacked villages is close to the town of Chibok where Boko Haram militants kidnapped more than 300 schoolgirls last month.
A man from Alagarno village told the Associated Press that residents hid in the bushes and witnessed the extremists setting their thatch-roofed mud huts on fire.
"We saw our village up in flames as we hid in the bush waiting for the dawn; we lost everything," said Apagu Maidaga.
The latest attacks occurred even as rescue workers in Jos continued the search for missing people a day after two bomb blasts ripped through a bus terminal killing at least 118 people, mostly women and children.
Tuesday's blasts came two days after a car bomb detonated in the Christian neighborhood of Kano, Nigeria's second-most populous and mainly Muslim city, killing four people.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said the government "remains fully committed to winning the war against terror."
Nigerian army spokesman Brig. Gen. Olajide Laleye said Wednesday, "I make bold to say that the Nigerian Army is steadily and surely reversing the ugly menace of terrorism and insurgency in the northeast part of this great nation."