BuzzFeed News

Reporting To You

Teen's Samsung Galaxy Bursts Into Flames After Slipping Under Her Pillow / Teen's Samsung Galaxy Bursts Into Flames After Slipping Under Her Pillow

Teen's Samsung Galaxy Bursts Into Flames After Slipping Under Her Pillow

A Samsung spokesperson replied that they specify in their user manual that smothering the phone could cause a fire.

Posted on July 28, 2014, at 12:04 p.m. ET

A 13-year-old Texas girl was jolted awake recently when her Samsung Galaxy S4 had caught on fire after it slipped beneath her pillow, KDFW reports.

Fox4News / Via youtube.com

Ariel Tolfree said a burning smell woke up her in the middle of the night.

"I didn't think much of it, so I went back to sleep, and then I woke up again and it was more prominent," she told KDFW.

Fox4News / Via youtube.com

Ariel's dad, Thomas, said he believed the phone overheated and has now become unrecognizable.

"The whole phone melted," said her dad, Thomas. "The plastic, the glass. You can't even really tell that it was a phone."

Fox4News / Via youtube.com

But Samsung says their products are safe and that the teen was to blame. A spokesperson said the user guide specifies not to let the phone be smothered with bedding, which "could restrict airflow and cause a fire."

They also pointed out that the phone's battery was a replacement unit, and not an original unit from their company.

Fox4News / Via youtube.com

But the teen and her dad said they were unaware of that warning.

"If anything, they should put a big warning on it, like a cigarette label, if that's the case," Thomas said.

Fox4News / Via youtube.com

Samsung requested to see the burned phone so they can investigate the fire, and said they will replace Ariel's phone, bedding, mattress, and pillow.

Fox4News / Via youtube.com

Support our journalism

Help BuzzFeed News reporters expose injustices and keep quality news free.

Contribute
ADVERTISEMENT