BuzzFeed News

Reporting To You

Dr. Oz Asked Twitter For Health Questions And It Backfired Spectacularly / Dr. Oz Asked Twitter For Health Questions And It Backfired Spectacularly

Dr. Oz Asked Twitter For Health Questions And It Backfired Spectacularly

"What has been your most profitable lie for money so far?"

Posted on November 13, 2014, at 11:23 a.m. ET

UPDATED: 11:45 a.m., ET:

On Tuesday, TV personality Dr. Mehmet Oz asked Twitter to send him some questions, not realizing this has never gone well for anyone.

Talk show host Dr. Mehmet Oz
AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta

Talk show host Dr. Mehmet Oz

What is your biggest question for me? Reply with #OzsInbox and I'll answer my favorites on http://t.co/8kjmALRoAd.

Dr. Mehmet Oz@DrOzFollow

2:54 PM - 11 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Of course, critics of the doc swiftly comandeered the #OzsInbox hashtag, firing off plenty of vitriol at Oz's often-questionable advice.

.@DrOz #OzsInbox Why have you not been censured or fired from @ColumbiaSurgery for conduct unbecoming a physician, scientist, and gentlemen?

Sunil K Sahai MD@DrSunilKSahaiFollow

1:24 AM - 12 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Dear @DrOz: is quackery a miracle weight loss cure? Something tells me your walls are going to be a lot lighter w/o your license #OzsInbox

Jenn@FluffieDuckyFollow

7:26 AM - 13 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

.@DrOz what's your favorite snake oil? How do you sleep at night? #OzsInbox

Chow Babe@Chow_BabeFollow

.@DrOz what's your favorite snake oil? How do you sleep at night? #OzsInbox

3:38 PM - 11 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Oz has often come under fire for his dubious advice; in June, he was grilled by a Senate panel on consumer protection on why he described supplements with terms like "magic weight-loss cure" and "the No. 1 miracle in a bottle."

"The scientific community is almost monolithic against you in terms of the efficacy of those three products that you called miracles," Sen. Claire McCaskill told Oz.

@DrOz Name specific toxins removed by a detox that is not removed by your liver/kidneys?What studies have you published on this?#OzsInbox

Chris Scholtz@ScholtzCFollow

9:24 PM - 11 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Can you go an entire show without saying the words "miracle," "toxin," and belly fat?" #OzsInbox

Jennifer Gunter@DrJenGunterFollow

1:23 AM - 12 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

@DrOz What has been your most profitable lie for money so far? #OzsInbox

Robbie G@GruntfutuckFollow

@DrOz What has been your most profitable lie for money so far? #OzsInbox

6:46 PM - 11 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Besides promoting prescriptions for weight loss and homeopathy, Oz has also suggested that eating genetically modified crops can cause autism, and has brought on guests who promote the anti-vaccine movement.

One controversial guest is Dr. Joe Mercola, who is anti-vaccine and promotes the belief that cancer is a fungus that can be cured with baking soda.

@DrOz. Which disease kills more people? Ebola or Mercola? #OzsInbox

Greg Hinson@ackdocFollow

@DrOz. Which disease kills more people? Ebola or Mercola? #OzsInbox

9:10 AM - 12 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

#OzsInbox I just got my flu shot, when can I expect to develop autism?

Ryen Smorczewski@Smorz7IUFollow

#OzsInbox I just got my flu shot, when can I expect to develop autism?

11:27 PM - 11 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

#OzsInbox I just read that my new detox regimen might be toxic. Can you recommend a detoxification to detoxify my toxins?

Andrew Kniss@WyoWeedsFollow

11:32 PM - 11 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

#OzsInbox Is it true you got into medicine because it was easier than starting your own cult?

J. Scott Wilson@chefmongoFollow

9:21 AM - 13 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Oz has not yet responded to any of the backlash.

#OzsInbox I read you used to be a respected cardiologist. What happened?

Esta Lake@fernologistFollow

#OzsInbox I read you used to be a respected cardiologist. What happened?

8:02 AM - 13 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

.@DrOz #OzsInbox what all-natural chemical-free salves do you plan on using for all the burns you've received from Twitter today?

Nathan Churney@platypusosaurusFollow

11:38 PM - 12 Nov 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

BuzzFeed News has reached out to Dr. Oz's rep for comment.

Support our journalism

Help BuzzFeed News reporters expose injustices and keep quality news free.

Start