A 21-year-old man was arrested Monday for allegedly threatening to "execute" 16 white students and staff members at the University of Chicago.
Jabari Dean, who is accused of posting the threat online, was charged Monday with "transmitting a threat in interstate commerce," according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Chicago. The charge carries a maximum of five years in prison.
In a Thanksgiving weekend post on social media, Dean threatened "execute approximately 16 white male students and or staff" on the campus quad of the University of Chicago at 10 a.m. on Monday, according to a complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago. He also appeared to refer to the death of Chicago teen Laquan McDonald, who was fatally shot 16 times by a police officer.
Dean also stated he would die "killing any number of white policemen that I can in the process," according to the complaint.
This is the full text of the threat listed in the complaint:
"This is my only warning. At 10 am. on Monday mourning (sic) I am going to the campus quad of the University of Chicago.
I will be armed with a Carbine and 2 Desert Eagles all fully loaded. I will execute aproximately (sic) 16 white male students and or staff, which is the same number of time (sic) Mcdonald (sic) was killed. I then will die killing any number of white policemen that I can in the process.
This is not a joke. I am to do my part to rid the world of the white devils. . I expect you to do the same..."
Classes at the University of Chicago's Hyde Park campus were canceled for Monday after administrators were informed by the FBI that a threat had been posted online Sunday night.
University of Chicago President Robert Zimmer said the decision to cancel classes on the main campus was made after consulting with federal authorities.
"Based on the FBI's assessment of this threat and recent tragic events at other campuses across the country," Zimmer said, "we have decided in consultation with federal and local law enforcement officials, to exercise caution by canceling all classes and activities on the Hyde Park campus through midnight on Monday."
Students and nonessential staff were asked not to come to the Hyde Park campus and informed that the majority of facilities would be closed. The statement also asked those who live in College Housing to remain indoors as much as possible.
"In response to the threat, the University will have an increased police and security presence on and around campus, including police personnel with visible weapons and other additional measures," the statement continued. "University security personnel are keeping in close contact with the FBI, which is continuing to investigate the threat."
However, the University's Medical Center would still be open "with added security measures" and medical staff.
Zimmer said in a statement on Monday that the security precautions would remain in effect for the rest of the day despite the arrest. Monday night, he released a subsequent statement saying that classes and all other operations would resume on Tuesday.
"The FBI has concluded their investigation into the threat against the University of Chicago," Zimmer said.