Video footage and several witness testimonies shared by attendees of the annual event — which was produced by Scott — showed numerous fans appearing to be crushed and trampled by one another in the crowd.
Scott issued his first statement addressing the tragedy Nov. 6, writing that he was “absolutely devastated” by the events that had taken place, before pledging a commitment to helping “heal and support the families in need.”
He went on to post a video of himself to his Instagram story, saying directly to the camera, “I just wanna send out prayers to the [lives] that were lost last night. We're actually working right now to identify the families so we can help assist them through this tough time.”
However, this week, Scott made his first public appearance since the horrific event.
On Nov. 23, Scott was photographed out on a golf trip with several A-list celebrities in Southern California, ahead of Thanksgiving weekend.
According to reports, Scott had traveled to Southern California to spend the holidays with his family and Jenner, presumably after having resided in his Houston home since the tragedy.
Scott’s first public outing comes just days after he was named in a new lawsuit, this one filed by two security guards who were working at Astroworld. Both are reportedly seeking over $1 million in damages.
According to multiple outlets, Samuel and Jackson Bush, an uncle and nephew who worked together at the festival, told reporters during a press conference Nov. 22 that they were both severely injured while helping attendees in the crowd.
Samuel claimed he was trampled multiple times, causing him to break his hand and hurt his back. According to TMZ, Jackson — who said he’d damaged his shoulder — claimed he witnessed CPR being performed on several lifeless bodies and also pulled a person out from beneath a large crowd who ended up dying.
In addition to Scott and his label, Cactus Jack Records, Samuel and Jackson named several corporations in their lawsuit, including Live Nation and ScoreMore, the venue NRG Park, and several security companies connected to the tragedy.
“For the most part, [the security companies] told us where to stand, not to let people run in, and to be safe and not to put our hands on anybody,” Jackson reportedly said during a press conference. “There was no training.”
Last week, Scott was named in two huge lawsuits filed on behalf of hundreds of victims, bringing the total cost of damages to over $2.75 billion.
Just days later, Scott — along with fellow artist Drake, Live Nation, NRG Stadium, and others — was named in a suit seeking $2 billion in damages, filed by attorney Thomas Henry on behalf of over 200 alleged victims.
In light of the several lawsuits, Scott’s first outing on a golf trip has elicited a negative response from fans. Many have criticized the rapper for his casual public appearance despite the ongoing controversy, and accused him of acting “like nothing happened.”
One person noted that they’ve been “waiting for him to give explanations on his behavior in the clips” — seemingly referring to fan footage in which Scott appeared to encourage the crowd to participate in mosh pits and crowdsurfing.
Meanwhile, Jenner has also received backlash for her response to the tragedy. She attended the concert with her sister Kendall Jenner and 3-year-old daughter, Stormi, whom she shares with Scott. According to reports and fan footage, the three were safely seated in a VIP section and were escorted out when the horrific events were unfolding.
Jenner shared footage from Scott’s performance at the festival to her Instagram story throughout the night. The videos were still visible on her account for hours after news of the fatalities emerged, leading to harsh criticism from fans.
One clip shared by Jenner that attracted particular criticism showed an ambulance attempting to move through the crowd. Like her other videos, it was left live on her story long after the event.
I want to remind you that you can see the ambulance on Kylie Jenners Instagram story from the Travis Scott concert and despite the news has not been taken down #AstroWorld