BuzzFeed News

Reporting To You

Fox Suspends Sports Reporter Over “I Can’t Breathe” Comments

Freelance reporter Erika Reidt seemingly criticized the Lakers for wearing "I can't breathe" shirts. The comment prompted a flurry of responses on social media.

Posted on December 10, 2014, at 3:04 a.m. ET

Freelance Fox Deportes reporter Erika Reidt posted a comment Tuesday evening on an Instagram picture showing Kobe Bryant in an "I Can't Breathe" shirt. "I'm gonna start wearing a shirt that says I can breathe because I obey the law," she wrote.

The picture was one of several that circulated widely Tuesday showing Lakers players in shirts showing support for the protests over the Eric Garner grand jury decision.

Reidt — who works for Fox's Spanish language sports channel, Fox Deportes — eventually deleted her comment on the picture, but not before it prompted plenty of reaction.

Some responded directly to Reidt on Instagram.

Instagram / Via instagram.com

Others began criticizing her on Twitter:

Hey @FOXDeportes, curious if you were aware your correspondent @ErikaReidt uses social media to victim blame.

Heywood Jablomie @HoodCertifiedFollow

8:09 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

@140elect @ErikaReidt She "loves Jesus"? Good luck convincing the Almighty with that mean spirit!

ndngenuity@ndngenuityFollow

11:22 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Reidt — who describes herself on Twitter as "Méxicana, Texas born, Cali Luv" — initially responded by saying her account was hacked and she didn't make the comment.

I want to clarify in regards to the comment about Eric Garner, my account was hacked & apparently that comment was posted without my conset

Erika Reidt@ErikaReidtFollow

9:32 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Some questioned that explanation, however, when she then thanked someone for defending the comment.

@HoodCertified @MJK_NY31 @FOXDeportes @ErikaReidt So she isn't allowed to have an opinion?

Jimmy McNulty@PattyWhite_NYMFollow

8:43 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Right RT @NRestivo: @ErikaReidt So both your Twitter and Instagram accounts were hacked on the same night?! That’s wild.

The Original@ImKingShawnFollow

12:11 AM - 10 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

@140elect @TheVikChick @ErikaReidt Ah yes, the Anthony Weiner "hacked account" excuse. Protip: it didn't work for him, either.

Tamir&Mike&Kaijime@OutsideAgit8orFollow

11:52 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Later, she told her followers that she was "raised in the hood."

I was raised in the hood and know the struggles our minority communities go through. I pray we become the system and abolish all racism.

Erika Reidt@ErikaReidtFollow

9:37 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

That response, prompted a new wave of critical responses:

How many Aunt Viv's were there? RT @ErikaReidt: I was raised in the hood

Ice@OfficiallyIceFollow

How many Aunt Viv's were there? RT @ErikaReidt: I was raised in the hood

10:36 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

She's Latina & doesn't see the racial injustice. That's the sick part. Shame on you @ErikaReidt

Claudia@clastroFollow

8:48 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

How much were money orders at your neighborhood convenience store? RT @ErikaReidt: I was raised in the hood

Pepe Sylvia@edot__Follow

10:28 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

the new "I have black friends" card? RT @ErikaReidt: I was raised in the hood and know the struggles our minority communities go through.

Qupernicus@_QDoubleFollow

9:43 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Fox Deportes then announced it was investigating the comments and had suspended Reidt.

FOX Deportes is investigating the comments made by freelancer Erika Reidt and has suspended her until further notice.

FOX Deportes@FOXDeportesFollow

10:35 PM - 09 Dec 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Reidt and Fox Deportes did not immediately respond to BuzzFeed News' request for comment.

Support our journalism

Help BuzzFeed News reporters expose injustices and keep quality news free.

Start