Two female suicide bombers have caused two deadly blasts in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state in northern Nigeria, killing at least 21.
The Associated Press reported that two teenage girls dressed in hijabs entered a crowded market place on on Tuesday and blew themselves up, according to Abba Aji Kalli, the Borno state coordinator for the civilian task force.
There are currently varying reports as to the death count from the blasts. An official for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) told Reuters that 21 bodies had been removed from the scene, while hospital sources told the BBC at least 30 people had been killed. A security official and witnesses also told AP that at least 30 had been killed. A health worker told Agence France-Presse that 45 people had been killed in the attack.
Kalli said the first woman detonated her explosives and killed three women, then a second bomber screamed and blew herself up as people gathered at the scene, killing 30.
Witness Sani Adamu told Reuters: "While the people were trying to help the injured, the second bomb blasted. I saw lots of bodies."
Nigerian police have yet to release a statement on Tuesday's blasts, and no one has yet claimed responsibility. However, suspicion is likely to fall on Boko Haram, who have waged a five-year campaign in northern Nigeria which has killed thousands. The group has increasingly been utilizing female suicide bombers, Reuters reported.
In July, the same Maiduguri market was hit by a car bomb attack that killed 56. Borno state is one of three northeastern Nigerian states under a state of emergency due to extremist violence.