Everything We Know About The People Wounded In The Lafayette Theater Shooting

Two were killed and nine were injured before the gunman killed himself. Five of the injured have been identified, four in stable condition and one in critical condition.

Around three hundred people fled The Grand 16 movie complex in Lafayette last night after John Russell Houser open fired in one of the theaters, killing two and wounding nine.

After shooting thirteen rounds at the audience watching the film "Trainwreck," Houser shot and killed himself.

Stacy Revere / Getty Images

Of the nine wounded, five were rushed to Lafayette General Medical Center. Two were released the night of the shooting, while one woman was taken to intensive care and underwent surgery.

All of the patients that were admitted to Lafayette General – including the woman listed in critical condition – are now stable and expected to survive, hospital officials said at a press conference on Friday.

Ronald Thomas, facilities and security director for the hospital, was present at the theater at the time of the shooting, Hospital President David Callecod said. He and his wife transported one of the victims to Lafayette General.

The two victims killed by Houser were Mayci Breaux, 21, and Jillian Johnson, 33.


Mayci Breaux


Jillian Johnson

Breaux was a student at Louisiana State University and worked at Coco Eros clothing boutique in Lafayette. Her employer described her on Facebook as "an amazing young woman."

Johnson and her husband Jason co-owned a gift and craft boutique called Red Arrow Workshop with locations in Lafayette and New Orleans. She also played ukelele for bluegrass and folk band The Figs.

Read more about the two victims here.

The victim who was in critical condition is reportedly Morgan Julia Egedahl, a yoga teacher in training who was shot five times, according to a post her yoga school wrote on Facebook.


Soon after posting, the Acadiana Yoga and Wellness center wrote that the family requested they refrain from posting any more on Egedahl's condition.

According to the note, Egedahl and Johnson attended the movie together and were presumably sitting next to each other. Police said in a press conference that Houser began his rampage by shooting the two people in front of him, very possibly Egedahl and Johnson.

Hundreds of people responded to the note on Facebook with encouraging words and condolences about her friend's death.

Two of the people shot were Jena Legnon Meaux and Ali Viator Martin, high school teachers who were lauded as heroes by Gov. Bobby Jindal for their courageous actions during the shooting.

As Houser shot bullets into the audience, Meaux jumped in front of Martin, reportedly saving her life.

"If she hadn't done that … that bullet, she believed it would have hit her in the head," Jindal said in a press conference after talking to the teachers.

Both women were shot in the legs, yet Martin managed to reach and pull the fire alarm while Houser was still shooting, alerting the rest of the movie complex and local authorities.

"Who knows how many lives her brave actions may have saved," Jindal said.

Two other victims wounded in the shooting were reportedly Dwight "Bo" Ramsay and his wife Gerry Ramsay, owners of Aries Marine Corp. and active members of the Lafayette community.

The couple, philanthropists with a history in the oil industry, were identified as victims of the shooting in a letter written by Dr. Paul Baker, the headmaster of the Episcopal School of Acadiana.

The Ramsays are financial benefactors to the school and active in the school's community, The Advocate reported, so Baker wrote to parents, alumni, and other financial backers, detailing the couple's condition.

Their son, Court B. Ramsay, reportedly told Baker that the couple was recovering and in stable condition, according to the letter. Baker did not respond to BuzzFeed News' request for comment.

Ramsay formed the Aires Marine Corporation, which provides support boats to drilling operations in Mexico, in 1981. The company now employs upward of 300 people, the website says.

According to the Facebook posts of Cory Corkin, a bystander who was watching another movie in the same complex during the shooting, witnesses were not allowed to leave the scene of the shooting for a number of hours after it took place.

Facebook: video.php

"FBI [was] interviewing everyone," Corkin wrote beneath a video he took of police cars outside the theater, two hours after the shooting took place. "Had my turn and now I'm free to go."

Many witnesses spent the hours there on their phones, communicating with concerned loved ones of theirs and other people's who may have been in the theater.

Corkin helped the mother of one movie-goer figure out the whereabouts of her daughter in Facebook comments, and kept others updated with images and videos.

One young woman, who according to the Facebook post is named Lily, sent out a video to her friends of her and others fleeing the scene just after the shooting.

Facebook: video.php