BuzzFeed News

Reporting To You


A Journalist In The West Bank Was Hit With Tear Gas On Live TV

"We can't really breathe at this stage," the Al Jazeera reporter calmly told viewers as she struggled for air.

Last updated on October 10, 2015, at 4:28 p.m. ET

Posted on October 10, 2015, at 2:47 p.m. ET

An Al Jazeera reporter on Saturday ran from tear gas during a live television interview in Israel, coughing and spluttering as she tried to continue speaking to viewers.

The incident came as authorities struggled to quell protests following an uptick in violence in the region, with Israelis being randomly attacked by Palestinian assailants using knifes and guns and young Palestinian protesters being killed in clashes with Israeli authorities.

Hoda Abdel Hamid was filming in on a hill side in the Israeli West Bank settlement of Beit El, north of Ramallah, when footage showed a vehicle the network said belonged to the Israeli Defense Force firing tear gas.

Al Jazeera / Via Facebook: aljazeera

"I think we will have to move from here. We're getting tear-gassed by the Israeli soldiers. We're just going to take position," Hamid says, coughing. "We can't really breathe at this stage.

"As you see everybody here has --" the reporter says, before erupting into a coughing fit and struggling to put on a gas mask.

Al Jazeera / Via Facebook: aljazeera

Hamid wrote this message on Twitter on Saturday afternoon:

what happened to our team today is a tiny fraction of what Palestinians have been going through for years.

The reporter was in the area to report on the escalating violence in Jerusalem and other cities between Israelis and Palestinians in recent weeks.

Protests had been taking place in Ramallah, the Associated Press reported, with young Palestinians throwing rocks at Israeli troops, who responded with tear gas.

In two separate incidents, Israeli police shot dead two Arab men who had carried out stabbing attacks in Jerusalem on Saturday.

The first man, a 16-year-old, attacked two passers-by in Jerusalem's Old City before being shot as he charged officers, police wrote on Facebook.

The victims were reportedly lightly wounded and taken to hospital for treatment.

In a later attack, a Palestinian man stabbed two officers, one in the neck, before police opened fire, killing the man and injuring a third officers, police wrote on Facebook.

Three police were taken to hospital, with one in a serious condition.

Haaretz shared video from the scene of the attack on the three officers:

View this video on YouTube

Tensions have flared in recent weeks between Israelis and Palestinians over a holy site in Jerusalem known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as the Al Aqsa Mosque.

In a statement on Saturday afternoon, the State Department said Secretary John Kerry had spoken with the Israeli and Palestinian leaders by phone to express his concern:

Secretary Kerry spoke separately with Prime Minister Netanyahu and President Abbas today to express his deep concern over the recent wave of violence and offer his support for efforts to restore calm as soon as possible. He reiterated the importance of strongly condemning violence and combating incitement, and taking affirmative steps to reduce tensions. He again stressed the importance of upholding the status quo in word and deed at the Haram al Sharif/Temple Mount and of preventing inflammatory rhetoric and actions that will increase tensions. He made clear he will continue to follow the situation closely and that the U.S. will remain engaged in efforts to restore calm.

Support our journalism

Help BuzzFeed News reporters expose injustices and keep quality news free.