Thousands of refugees and migrants have flooded into Germany in recent days, and the country's government has said it is struggling to find accommodation for everyone.
After more than 12,200 refugees arrived in Munich on Saturday, the country reintroduced temporary border controls on Sunday in a bid to try to bring some order to the influx of desperate people seeking asylum.
According to some news outlets, the situation has become so dire that refugees are now being housed in the Buchenwald concentration camp.
After the Daily Mail story on Friday, the report spread. Many stories used pictures of the main gate of the Buchenwald camp.
It was reported in the Middle East.
And in Israel.
Russian media in particular seemed to love the story.
Sputnik ran a story that used a picture of the barbed wire fence at the camp, where more than 56,000 died.
Even the Russian embassy in the U.K. was sharing the "news," using a picture of Holocaust detainees.
The reports all tell of 21 refugees who have been housed in an old building for SS guards at the Buchenwald camp.
What many of the reports fail to make clear, though, is that refugees are being housed not at the Buchenwald concentration camp, but at a site located several hours away in Schwerte.
Camp Schwerte-Ost was a satellite labor camp of Buchenwald during World War II, housing some 700 prisoners who worked on Nazi railroads.
According to Germany's international broadcaster, Deutsche Welle, the barracks and guards' quarters were torn down long ago.
The 21 refugees housed on the camp grounds are living in a postwar building previously used as a kindergarten and artist studios, according to town officials.
What's more, the refugees were moved to the Schwerte building back in January — a fact many of the recent reports glossed over.
As the Washington Post reported at the time, the decision came amid a lot of soul-searching in Germany over whether the move was insensitive to the memory of the Holocaust.
"The accusation that we in Schwerte are ignorant of our history and insensitive, deeply hit the council and the city administration," Mayor Heinrich Böckelühr said at the time, defending the decision.
"There is a lively welcoming culture here. And putting refugees up in mass shelters, containers, or gymnasiums is not our understanding of successful integration."
The recent flood of stories all seem to stem back to a report published in The Australian newspaper on Sept. 5.
Using pictures from the i-Images photo agency, the report shared the story of Eritrean refugees Abdurahman Massa and Ayaya Tsinat, who the newspaper claimed were living in "ramshackle barracks" once used by SS guards.
“I don’t mind what it was before, it is a bed for me,’’ Massa said. “This is good for me.”
But according to the Daily Mail:
Twenty-one male asylum seekers have been moved to the former barracks of the notorious Buchenwald concentration camp, where SS officers killed thousands of prisoners during the Second World War.