BuzzFeed News

Reporting To You


Two Killed And 360,000 Left Without Power As Severe Storms Hit Washington State

Wind gusts of up to 49 miles per hour brought down trees and powerlines across the Seattle-area on Tuesday.

Last updated on November 18, 2015, at 10:41 a.m. ET

Posted on November 18, 2015, at 10:41 a.m. ET

A man was killed today when a tree fell on his car between Sultan and Monroe.

Two people have died and about 360,000 were left without power in Washington state after a storm downed trees and caused mudslides.

The storm swept through the Seattle-area, taking down power lines, and led to flood warnings across the Puget Sound, the National Weather Service said.

At least two people were killed in storm-related accidents, authorities have said.

Crews working to restore power to customers across service area including Bainbridge:

One man was killed when a tree fell on his car while he was driving near the city of Monroe, northeast of Seattle, on Tuesday, the Snohomish County Sheriff department said in a statement. The driver, believed to be a male in his 20's, died at the scene. No one else was in the vehicle and there were no other injuries reported at the scene.

In Spokane, in eastern Washington, local police said a woman was killed by a fallen tree. The Spokane Police Department said they were called on Tuesday afternoon to reports a tree had knocked down power lines and had hit a woman.

"Fire crews responded but were unable to resuscitate the victim. At this time it is confirmed the victim was a female in her 50’s," the department said in a statement.


This tree snapped off like a twig and crushed this car. A woman was inside at the time. Remarkably she's ok

More than 360,000 customers were left without power in the Puget Sound region late on Tuesday, Reuters reported. Puget Sound Energy, which supplies customers in parts of Seattle and its suburbs, reported about 210,000 outages as of late Tuesday.

"With so much widespread damage, [customers should] prepare for the possibility of being without power for multiple days," Puget Sound Energy tweeted.

The National Weather Service has forecasted rain and wind in the area for much of the rest of the week.