BuzzFeed News

Reporting To You

news

Man Dies After Carbon Monoxide Poisons Dozens Of Diners At Long Island Restaurant

The man died on Saturday evening after 28 people — including three police officers — were overcome by carbon monoxide at the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington Station.

Posted on February 23, 2014, at 3:34 a.m. ET

The New York Daily News reports Suffolk County police were called to Legal Sea Foods at the Walt Whitman Mall at about 6 p.m. on Saturday.

They evacuated the building after they found the manager, Steven Nelson, 55, and an unidentified woman suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning in the building’s basement.

They evacuated the building after they found the manager, Steven Nelson, 55, and an unidentified woman suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning in the building’s basement.

The officers began to feel dizzy and nauseous and recognised the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Suffolk police would later confirm that Nelson had died. There were 27 other victims, including restuarant employees, ambulance personnel and three police officers. They were taken to five area hospitals and are said to be doing well.
AP Photo/Newsday, Danielle Finkelstein

Suffolk police would later confirm that Nelson had died. There were 27 other victims, including restuarant employees, ambulance personnel and three police officers. They were taken to five area hospitals and are said to be doing well.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill in minutes.

Investigators were inspecting the basement heating system. Legal Seafood, Panera Bread and the Cheesecake Factory have been evacuated for precautionary reasons.
AP Photo/Newsday, Steve Silverman

Investigators were inspecting the basement heating system. Legal Seafood, Panera Bread and the Cheesecake Factory have been evacuated for precautionary reasons.

The restaurant has issued this statement:

We are profoundly saddened to learn of the tragic death of our General Manager Steve Nelson. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Legal Sea Foods@legalseafoods

We are profoundly saddened to learn of the tragic death of our General Manager Steve Nelson. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

05:14 AM - 23 Feb 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

ADVERTISEMENT

We have few confirmed details, but our prayers are with all those affected and their families.

Legal Sea Foods@legalseafoods

We have few confirmed details, but our prayers are with all those affected and their families.

04:16 AM - 23 Feb 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

We're devastated by the news of the carbon monoxide poisoning at Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington, NY.

Legal Sea Foods@legalseafoods

We're devastated by the news of the carbon monoxide poisoning at Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington, NY.

04:15 AM - 23 Feb 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT